A three day weekend can seem like the perfect opportunity to relax and rejuvenate the ole batteries but sometimes it can leave us feeling even more sluggish and unmotivated. If this past Labor Day has gotten you into a motivational rut, here are a few quick tips to get you back in the groove.
1. Set a Bedtime. Although most of us haven’t been told when to go to bed since we were children, a bedtime is not a bad idea to get your sleeping habits back on track. Count backwards 6-8 hours from when you have to get up and go to bed at the same time every night no matter what. Your body will be back in the swing of things in no time.
2. Use Your Patterns to Your Advantage. By the time we reach adulthood, we know whether we need six hours or eight hours of sleep a night to function normally. Too much or too little sleep can cause us to feel groggy or sluggish. Try to sleep the same amount of time every night. That way, Monday morning will feel the same as a Saturday or Sunday.
3. Exercise in the Morning. Early morning exercise doesn’t feel worth it when you are snug in your bed, but it is when you arrive at work feeling exhilarated and awake. Your blood will be circulating, your mind will be functioning and you won’t have the “just woke up” grumpiness. Plus, you will have your workout out of the way when you want to go to happy hour after work.
4. Get up 20 Minutes Earlier. It seems crazy to suggest getting up earlier when talking about feeling more energized. However, having those extra minutes to get reacquainted with the daylight and not have to rush around in the mornings will make your drive easier and those first few minutes at work more productive as you won’t be coming in on a four wheel slide, stressed out and trying to jam breakfast down your throat.
5. Sit Up Straight. Once you’re at your desk, sitting up straight will keep the muscles in your core engaged and active. A slouched spine inevitably leads to droopy eyelids, so do your body a favor and sit up straight for as long as possible all day.
So as your short work week gets into full swing, take a few of these steps into account while battling the three day weekend fatigue. Soon all will be back to normal and you’ll be your usual chipper worker bee self.